The Portland Oregon Visitors Association (POVA) has partnered with the Oregon Wine Board (OWB) to create a "Green Getaways" package. This online promotion - a natural fit in eco-friendly Oregon - combines green hotels with hybrid car rentals and sustainable winery and vineyard tours in the Oregon wine country.
Available through the end of 2007, the "Green Getaways" promotion includes the following:
· A double-occupancy hotel room at one of five green hotel properties: Doubletree Hotel Portland - Lloyd Center (BlueWorks, Climate Trust, Green Seal certified); The Heathman Hotel (recognized by the Energy Trust, becoming Energy Star certified); Hilton Portland & Executive Tower (Green Seal certified); Hotel Monaco Portland (BlueWorks, Kimpton EarthCare); and the Hotel Vintage Plaza (BlueWorks, Kimpton EarthCare).
· Complimentary hotel parking, saving guests $20 per night (downtown average).
· Complimentary continental breakfast for two each morning.
· Discounts on Enterprise Rent-A-Car's eco-friendly fleet, which includes flex-fuel and hybrid cars.
· Opportunities to visit some of Oregon's sustainable vineyards for green-focused tours, tastings and special offers. Among the types of activities visitors might experience are the Sustainable Vineyard Tour at Ponzi Vineyards (Saturday and Sunday, noon and 3 p.m.); the Taste, Tour & Picnic Package at Stoller Winery (a special $30 per person offer that includes tasting, a winery tour, a picnic lunch and disc golf); or 20 percent off wine when purchasing two or more bottles at Van Duzer Winery.
· A Portland "Big Deal" coupon book featuring additional savings and special offers at local restaurants, attractions and retail outlets.
For details, including a complete list of package participants, visit www.portlandbigdeal.com or www.oregonwine.org. Travelers can book packages online at www.portlandbigdeal.com or call POVA's toll-free hotline, 1.877.678.5263.
All of the participating wineries are within 60 miles of Portland. Green travelers are encouraged to book their Green Getaways early. Hotel rates and offers are subject to availability, depending on dates of travel and hotel occupancy.
Portland Oregon Visitors Association
POVA is a non-profit, independent association whose mission is to strengthen the region's economy by marketing the metropolitan Portland area as a preferred destination for meetings, conventions and leisure travel. www.travelportland.com
The Oregon Wine Board
The Oregon Wine Board is a semi-independent state agency that manages marketing, research and education initiatives that support and advance the Oregon wine and wine grape industries. The Board represents more than 350 wineries, 300 independent growers and 15,600 vineyard acres throughout the state's diverse winegrowing regions. For more information about Oregon wine or how you can plan a trip to Oregon wine country, visit www.oregonwine.org.
SOURCE: Portland Oregon Visitors Association