Prices Are Hitting Record Highs, Know How To Keep Costs Down When Renting a Car
Car rental prices are skyrocketing across North America, so Hotwire.com®, a leading travel discount site, has announced five car-rental savings tips that will help you drive off the lot with a full wallet.
Here are five tips to help you lower car rental expenses this summer:
1. If you see a good rate, book it right away. Prices are expected to continue rising through July and will stay high all the way through August.
2. Rent on the weekends. When business travelers have gone home for the weekend, there is more inventory and lower prices for the consumer.
3. Rent away from the airport if possible. Off-airport and local rental centers can often be cheaper due to lower taxes and fees. Often, by sacrificing convenience, you can save money.
4. Make sure to fill up the tank before returning your car. Rental centers charge a hefty fee for those who forget to do this. If you don’t want the hassle, many rental car companies will also allow you to pre-purchase your tank of gas to avoid fees, but it’s still cheaper to fill it up on your own.
5. Book opaque. Although prices are expected to spike this year, by booking through opaque sites such as Hotwire, consumers can save up to 45 percent and rent a car from $13.95 a day.
Hotwire.com is a leading discount travel site with low rates on airline tickets, hotel rooms, rental cars, cruises and vacation packages. Launched in 2000, Hotwire negotiates deep discounts from its travel suppliers to help travelers book unsold airline seats, hotel rooms and rental cars. J.D. Power and Associates 2008 Independent Travel Web Site Satisfaction Study(SM) recognized Hotwire for ranking “Highest in Customer Satisfaction Among Independent Travel Web Sites, Three Years in a Row.” Hotwire is an operating company of Expedia, Inc. CST: 2053390-40. NST: 20003-0209. For more information, visit http://www.hotwire.com/.